Part of what matters for the next generation of property managers is having the right company culture. From that point, attracting and retaining top talent can be much easier to do. But how do you get the right company culture, and how do you know when you’ve found it?
To do all of that, you need to first understand what company culture is and the importance of it. Then you can choose what works for your particular company and make sure you are on the right track toward bringing in and keeping the best property management people in the business.
Why Company Culture Matters in Property Management
As you work to define your company culture, you want to look for what makes your company special. What makes it unique, and what makes it different from others in the same field? When you see what’s different about your property management company, you can use that to show to the world. That will help attract employees who will be a good fit because they already know what the company culture is like.
You want to do more than attract new employees, though. You want to use your company culture to keep the ones you have. Surveying them about their thoughts and feelings can help ensure that the culture you have defined for your company is the same culture the employees feel they are receiving. In other words, everyone needs to be on the same page when it comes to company culture, so all employees feel valued and everyone at the property management company forms a cohesive unit.
Attracting New Talent Through the Use of Company Culture
When you want your property management team to be the best, you need to attract the best. One of the ways to do that is through the importance of your company’s online reputation. New talent needs to be able to find you, but they also need to know why they should work for you instead of someone else. You want to attract modern employees, and you can do that by:
- Offering incentives that appeal to modern employees
- Making your company stand out from the rest
- Using your website as a recruiting tool
- Providing a good onsite interview experience
- Offering good closure if an applicant isn’t chosen
- Holding your team accountable and using their feedback
No matter what size property management company you’re operating, you need the right new talent with the right skills to keep things fresh.
Retaining Top Talent to Make Company Culture Stronger
When you want to keep the talent you already have, you need to make sure these employees continue to feel valued and important. Do that through:
- Investing in industry conferences, and allowing employees to attend at least one per year
- Hosting monthly lunches to engage employees on important topics in the company and industry
- Training new hires with a documented plan for on-boarding to give them support
- Setting team goals that maximize investments and drive success
- Driving a stronger company culture by encouraging team bonding and a large sense of purpose
There are a lot of good ways to keep great talent, and when you want the best property management employees you have to be prepared to go out of your way to keep them. It’s well worth the effort.