Last modified on January 2nd, 2018
By Elizabeth Millar
It’s that time of year again, time to think about New Year’s resolutions for all of your properties. Whether you want to improve your renter relationships starting in January or you want to create dynamic properties with the help of smart home technologies, the new year is a chance to meet all of your property management goals. Without further delay, here are five easy things that you can do to start 2018 off on the right foot.
Property Management 2018 Tips
Want to make this your best year yet? If so, make sure that you implement the right property management tactics to grow your business, keep your tenants happy, and build valuable relationships with local homeowners.
- Communication — Start the new year with a personalized email to your tenants and homeowners. Wish them a “Happy New Year,” while simultaneously re-introducing your blog. This personalized email is a great way to create a positive touch point, build your existing relationships, and offer helpful seasonal advice via your blog. Speaking of which, don’t forget to make and stick to your digital publication schedule starting right away.
- Smart home technologies — Do your managed properties leverage the power of smart thermostats? Have the light switches been changed to dimmer switches? Have you installed smart locks? If you are scratching your head in confusion at these questions, then it’s time that you conducted a bit of research on smart home technologies that can greatly enhance your properties. From a Nest that allows tenants to more easily control their heating or air conditioning, to a smart lock that does away with duplicate keys, there are numerous technologies that both your homeowners and tenants will enjoy.
- Community-driven spaces — Over the last decade, tenants have come to expect more from their chosen rental abodes. Make 2018 the year that your multi-family properties have amenity-filled community spaces. Whether it is a water feature that both dogs and humans can enjoy, a beautiful flower garden with designated spaces for planting vegetables, or a grilling station with a fire pit, there are are numerous ways that you can enhance the value of your properties, simply by catering to the wishes of your tenants.
- Accessible properties — Tenants want to be able to book a home tour with the same ease that they use an app to reserve a table at a popular restaurant. Make sure that you are using the right property management technology to make the entire home leasing process a breeze. From scheduling a tour to signing on the dotted line, renters have a real-time service expectation that must be satisfied.
- Health checks. — Whether you are a property manager in Florida or New England, carve out time to check on all of your properties. This simple check-up can alert you to any future maintenance problems, help you to assess areas of improvement for each property, and will be a great comfort to both your homeowners and renters. From checking on filters to making sure that the paint isn’t chipping, the beginning of the new year is the perfect time to make sure that your properties are in tip-top shape.
Happy Clients Bring More Business
If you want a successful year, then you need to make sure that you keep your customers happy. From the beginning, the year with an introduction to your blog to enhancing your properties with smart technologies to conducting a thorough property check, start the year right by making sure that your clients are happy with your property management services. After all, if your clients happy then they are more likely to send new business your way and hopefully renew their lease in 2019!
Comments by Elizabeth Millar
5 Rules to Finding Great Property Management Talent
Appfolio makes it really easy for property management ...
Easy Ways to Manage Risk and Improve Debt Recovery – Webinar Recap
Hi Clay, I spoke with our webinar presenter, and the ...